Buttercup Farm Park
Buttercup Farm Park on the site of the former Drumbrae Primary School playing fields in Corstorphine is the first new urban park in Edinburgh for 15 years, opening in August 2014. The park was designed by the City of Edinburgh Council with support from Edinburgh and Lothians Greenspace Trust (ELGT) and WREN, the waste recycling group.
The design was drawn up following local consultation and the name, Buttercup Farm Park, was chosen by the community to reflect the site’s history - in the early 20th century the site was the location of Buttercup Poultry Farm – the UK’s largest poultry farm at the time with over 200,000 laying hens.
The £235,000 project, of which £35,642 has been contributed by landfill tax distributors WREN, will be completed in two phases. The initial phase of works, now completed has seen the creation of the new park landscape and drainage, with a number of pathways - including a central avenue and circular path bordering the site. A new inclusive Play Area, toddler area with lawn, picnic tables and seating and places to play and walk.
The second phase in the autumn will see addition landscaping works with the planting of a number of feature trees, including the reinstatement of the Dunblane Memorial trees. The main park path will become a tree lined avenue with a central beech hedge feature providing shelter to the play areas. Wildflower meadows will also be prepared ready for seeding.HISTORY OF BUTTERCUP DAIRY FARM
The Buttercup Dairy Company was founded in 1904 by Andrew Ewing and its first shop opened in Kirkcaldy in that year.
In November 1922 the Buttercup Dairy Company bought 86 acres of farmland in Corstorphine, on the western outskirts of Edinburgh, to develop a "state-of-the art" poultry farm.
At its peak in 1930, the company had 250 shops all over Scotland and the north of England. Buttercup Farm was the UK’s largest poultry farm with 200,000 laying hens.
A generous and religious man, Andrew Ewing would not charge for any eggs laid at his farm on a Sunday, so over 100,000 were donated to hospitals every week. Although the company had a major financial crisis in 1949, it survived and the last shop was closed in Edinburgh in 1965.