Leith Links Play Park
Since 2006, the Edinburgh & Lothians Greenspace Trust has been working on an ongoing project to make environmental improvements to Hailes Quarry Park.
The play park had been recognised by the local community as a priority area for improvement. We identified what types of new play equipment will make an immediate and visible improvement through a number of consultation events with the local community including the local schools. This will help serve as a catalyst for subsequent improvements and activities in the park.
The physical works involved the removal of the existing play equipment which was built in 1992 and fell below the play value score of good due to its age and condition. A variety of equipment was installed to cater for all ages which will be one of the largest play spaces in Edinburgh. We also changed the play surface to woodchip and a rubber safer surface.
Leith Links Community Council reported that all the users of the new Leith Links Play Park are absolutely delighted with the new design and facilities. It’s buzzing! The old play park was very limited and definitely past its sell-by-date. The newly upgraded play park, thanks to City of Edinburgh Council and Edinburgh and Lothians Greenspace Trust, is so much more interesting, with lots of exciting new activities to explore and enjoy. The large wooden Pirate Ship is an especial favourite, for ‘clamberers’, also the new Zipwire is very popular. Safe, soft surfaces underfoot are reassuring for parents, who also like the seating facilities within the enclosure. A separate space for the smallest/ youngest children is much appreciated, as are the wheelchair friendly and all-age adapted activities that allow children with disabilities to be included in the fun. Thank you, CEC and Greenspace Trust
Funded by: FCC Communities Fund, City of Edinburgh
- Ran 4 consolation sessions with the local community
- New play surface with woodchip and a rubber safer surface.
- Installed Mantis Zipwire, 2.4 Olympic Swing Basket with 2 seats, A block BLX410402 climbing unit, A breeze 3 way seated springer & a 3m cone net climber. For the toddle zone there would be a 2.4m Olympic Swing with seat and cradle, a sandplay area which includes a Slide Portland unit, a Bonnie Springer, a Poseidon Uni Play unit, a make it rain play piece, a wooden Snail seat, a 2m Orbit roundabout and a Springer water Lily. A Rolli Trampoline for wheelchairs users.
- An area for natural play was created which includes a FHS stilt walk and Log Stack.
- A Lappset 220511 parkour unit.
- Increased use of outdoor play
- Improved appearance of the park
- Less antisocial behaviour