Craigmillar Castle Park
Focusing in and around Craigmillar Castle Park, this project has delivered a wide range of community engagement activities and volunteering opportunities that have fostered a greater understanding of nature and its value through community events, nature walks, natural play activities, workshops and practical conservation tasks.
By delivering a series of community events we have enabled the local community to learn new skills, get involved in volunteering activities, engage with nature and meet other local residents.
We have worked alongside local schools, organisations and community groups to deliver several initiatives to further strengthen the project’s outcomes.
A key local organisation we have been working with is Youth Build to provide a programme of practical upskilling for local young people to help them develop their skills and confidence.
The project is has also identified opportunities for woodland improvements within Craigmillar Castle Park through the Woods In and Around Towns scheme (WIAT).
Events and Activities
Thank you for another wonderful event... Such a special time today... Kids loved it as usual... Brilliant afternoon - can’t believe all these events are free... Thank you so much for everything you have done 😍 I'm quite sad it's over... Not only do [the kids] enjoy the event but they also bring home with them new passions... I had never been around the park before and was amazed that such a beautiful wild place was in the city... My son has been using some of the activities to attract nature in our garden... Various participants
Funded by: Forestry Commission, City of Edinburgh Council, Scottish Enterprise
- 127 community engagement activities delivered
- Engaged with 2767 local people
- Successful in securing additional funding to deliver specific events and projects
- Delivered John Muir Explorer Award in partnership with Carr Gomm
- Assisted in delivering Junior Ranger Programme with Castleview Primary and the University of Edinburgh
- Craigmillar Walking group in partnership with Connecting Craigmillar and the Thistle Foundation set-up
- Outdoors In with Carr Comm and Sandys Community Centre
- Delivered Upskilling Project in partnership with Youthbuild and Newbattle Abbey College
- Greater community engagement with local woodlands and their associated benefits such as an increased value of green space and biodiversity and increased health and well-being
- Increased community participation and cohesion
- Increased opportunities for outdoor activities and healthy living
- Increased number of people using and valuing Craigmillar Castle Park