South Edinburgh Healthy Lifestyles
The project focuses on getting a variety of individuals, communities and groups engaging in their outdoor space through lots of different avenues
Our aim is to introduce communities to outdoor based activities in an affordable way, making them more sustainable for the future. These should be offered in a comfortable and fun way – with lots of positivity to encourage further attendance.
To get people involved, relationships need to be built and trust formed, which requires ongoing preparatory work with professionals such as support workers and the lifelong learning team, by working with these professionals and organisations we can reach as many people as possible in the communities we work in.
Giving them the tools, we need to move forward with a sustainable and achievable plan to improve health and wellbeing in these areas.
I have really enjoyed these classes and feel I have become fitter from them... Good fun, friendly people... Thank you to everyone who was there today, what an amazing effort... It was great to see some of the young people engaging with the litter pick... Fantastic project supporting local community and environment... Various participants
Funded by: NHS Lothian, City of Edinburgh Council Health & Social Care, The Robertson Trust
- 10 x 6 week programmes of workshops introducing people to physical activity in the outdoors
- A series of cooking sessions to encourage healthy cooking and eating on a budget
- 20 growing workshops to grow their own produce
- 12 environmental enhancement workshops
- Increase awareness of physical activity recommendations by public health professionals
- Increase levels of participation in outdoor activities
- Increase numbers of local people achieving recommended levels of physical activity
- Improve health & wellbeing, confidence and self-esteem and social contact
- Improve the local environment
- Increase awareness of making healthier choices with eating habits